Following health provisions introduced in the article 129 (Maastricht Treaty) and then in the article 152 (Amsterdam Treaty) the EU promoted a health strategy which gave rise to the Programme of Community Action in the Field of Public Health (2003-2008).
The Programme, adopted by the European Parliament and Council on 23 September 2002, was defined with the overall aim “to protect human health and improve public health”. It included three strands of action:
- to improve information and knowledge for the development of public health
- to enhance the capability of responding rapidly and in a coordinated fashion to health threats
- to promote health and prevent disease through addressing health determinants across all policies and activities
Funded under the Programme, the EUPHORIC project focused on the first strand pursued by means of actions and support measures such as “developing and operating a sustainable health monitoring system to establish comparable quantitative and qualitative indicators at community level on the basis of existing work and of accomplished results (…)”(1).
The project’s overall aim was to integrate previous knowledge and field experiences and produce protocols for data collection, harmonization and analysis of outcome indicators.
The project was guided by a network of 15 institutions from 10 European countries and Israel. The network played a crucial role in the development of a joint effort to provide a valuable source of information.
The Istituto Superiore di Sanità acted as a co-ordination centre.
The project was divided into three phases:
- Survey: to make an inventory of outcome research studies and outcome indicators in participating countries
- Pilot: to test selected indicators in participating countries
- Dissemination: to make results available to EU authorities, institutions, study participants and citizens on a multi-language web site
In order to facilitate the writing up of standardized reports and to guarantee the comparability of the interim reports, in 2007 the Euphoric project was reorganized in six work packages (WP), each one being linked to specific objectives and activities. Read the description of the 6 work packages.
The project started in December 2004 and ended in December 2008
(1) Decision No 1786/2002/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 September 2002 adopting a programme of Community action in the field of public health (2003-2008) - Commission Statements